Tuesday, October 10, 2006

the day the modem died

There is good news and there is bad news, as J always begins.

The good news is that our dishwasher is finally fixed! Now I can get my dishpan hands out of the Palmolive (or Ecover, as the case may be).

The bad news is that the dishwasher paid its malfunctioning karma forward to our internet service, which was iffy over the weekend and yesterday crapped out altogether. Good lord, this is what it must have been like to live in the twentieth century, back before Google and blogs, when we simply had to wonder about random trivia, the fates of ex-boyfriends, and the minutiae of strangers’ lives!

Remember when you were a kid, the story about the night the power went out in a fictional neighborhood just like yours? At first the family despaired of how they would get through the evening without lights, TV, and other taken-for-granted conveniences. Then they ended up eating dinner by candlelight and talking and telling stories and having the best time and saying they should turn off the lights and the TV more often. I would like to say that I am spinning my internet deprivation into a golden opportunity to rediscover slower pleasures. But look at me, I've come to the library to get my fix.

Partly I wanted to check in here to mention that what with the busted modem and other extenuating circumstances – such as a family member who is very sick and sad and staying with us right now – I am not sure how much I will be posting in the near future. I would like to and I will try. This outlet, and the conversations it has started, have become important to me. But, to quote the cinematic classic Airplane, I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Now how about a little more good news? Here’s a parting shot of Iris’ table and chairs, which I finished painting this morning:


And a gratuitous cutie shot of Iris, dressed to match.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry you are having breakdown problems, too. first it was our washing machine, and now our dishwasher. bummer. isn't that always the way? :)

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the newly painted table! And that is my favorite wall color. (I use it way too much.)

Sorry about the breakdowns! I hate when our cable modem goes down -- it is temperamental.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will continue to check-in, ever hopeful that you'll have had the opportunity to post (can you tell I'm not an RSS feed kinda gal?). I love the table an chairs and upon seeing it began considering re-painting our set from Ikea. Iris is, as ever, adorable. Good luck whipping that modem back into shape and healing thoughts to your sick relative.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i forgot to say - love the table - is it an ikea one? like ours? and everyone else's? :) we need to start a flickr group to show off how everyone finished theirs. or is there one already...

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home