Tuesday, October 17, 2006

gimme an I! gimme an R!


Long but satisfying day today: a field trip with colleagues – mostly, thankfully, not from my own dysfunctional office – to study public art in Cleveland. Admit it, you're jealous! Well, maybe you should be: it was truly inspiring. These images are from the reading garden at the Cleveland Public Library, a splendid little urban pocket park.

[Updated to add: These marvelous things didn't just materialize! Let's give credit where credit is due, shall we? Bronze figures and gates by Tom Otterness; reflecting pool wall by Maya Lin and Tan Lin.]


From the home front today, J reports this observation from Iris about a sign they saw: "I! R! S! Those are letters in my name! ...What are all those extra letters not in my name?"

A couple signs I saw in Cleveland that made an impression:

"Beehive School." I can see this going either way: a busy hive of activity, or a colony of worker drones?

"Indisputable Barber Shop." OK, I believe you!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clevland gets a bad wrap. Sure the river that runs through it (the Cuyahoga)once burned for days but that doesn't mean it isn't a great town. The Clevland Art Institute is fabulous and the best falafel I've ever had (other than my own homemade falafel) was from Tommy's (on Coventry, I think) not too far from there.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your job has definite benefits - i can think of worse things to do on a work day!

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like fun!!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home