Friday, December 01, 2006

where there's a will, there's a toddler

Sometimes, even when there's not much going on, I still seem to have plenty to say. This is not one of those times. This week, I'm put-my-head-down-and-drool-on-my-desk tired and it's all I can do to sustain basic functions: go to work, dispense food, comfort, and encyclopedic knowledge of the world for Iris*, launder and clean for the next round of houseguests. Christmas crafting has ground to a halt for the moment. I did make something last week that I'm pretty pleased with, and I'd show a sneak peak of it but lighting conditions are not on my side.

* "Show me on this ball [the globe] where big bad wolves live."

If Iris had a blog, it would never lie fallow for lack of observations. The other day we were discussing why, in The Wind in the Willows, Toad resists his friends' intervention to get him to give up his reckless driving habit.

"Why Toad says, 'Poo poo! I will never give up motorcars!'"

"Because he doesn't want to listen to his friends."

"Why?"

"Because he's strong-willed. You know, you're strong-willed too. You have been ever since you were a tiny baby."

"All my life I am strong willed! Why everyone is strong-willed?"

"Everyone is not strong-willed. Some people aren't. Everyone is different."

"No they're not! Everyone is strong-willed!"

I'm not going to argue with her.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello! I found my way to you via Pixiegenne and I've been enjoying your blog very much. Iris sounds so delightful! Like a little Russian woman! "Why everyone strong willed?" So cute! At that age, my son was mainly asking things like "Why you no buy no ice cream!?" Anyway, your blog is a delight to read.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've often said that Lola's strong will will serve her well someday but that in the meantime parenting that strong will is more than occasionally a pain in the arse.

12:16 AM  
Blogger angelique said...

Thanks! Bettsi, I see a subtitle for this blog: "My Little Babuschka."

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home