Saturday, November 11, 2006

handmade arcadia

Just back from the Handmade Arcade. At one point, I had aspirations of having a table there myself, but that turned out to be crazy talk. Maybe next year... if I get started in January.

This year was the biggest it's ever been. There could so easily have been a whole fair of nothing but beautiful bags, another of all handprinted cards, another of just jewelry....

So the place was packed, and I had Iris with me, which didn't make it easy to execute my shopping m.o., which involves a brisk circuit of the entire scene, followed by lingering repeat visits to my favorites, then agonized back-and-forthing over final purchases. But the girl persevered amazingly well, only melting down once when I suggested that ten minutes was really enough time spent spinning a rack of sparkly earrings. If the kid had pierced ears, she would've been that vendor's best customer.

I ended up finding a couple presents for friends and family and of course, a couple things I couldn't live without. I'll have pictures eventually – I'm pleading bad light again – but for now you'll just have to trust me: the stuff was amazing.

Just a few of my favorites:

Alison Rose I got a great shirt from her last year.

imogene. Annie collects things that make me swoon.

The Broken Plate Pendant Company I scored a couple presents here. Shh! Plus, she said she could make something from the shards of a Japanese bowl I still can't bring myself to throw away, even though it broke six years ago.

Giant Dwarf I bought one of Sue's hats at the very first Handmade Arcade and have been loving it for years now. It's all I can do not to buy more every year. Must. Restrain. Self!

StrawberryLuna She's done posters for so many of my favorite musicians, it's like she has her studio in my iPod. Oh, and her artwork is gorgeous! And she acted like my child's weird, grubby but beloved plastic stingray was The Shit.

Bright Lights, Little City Cocktail umbrellas made sublime.

squidfire I'm a sucker for tentacles. No pun intended.

Before I go, here's a sneak peek at my own Christmas crafting.



Also, though I need to be focused on the holidays at hand, I'm contemplating this cool messenger bag I got gratis at the National Trust conference a couple weeks ago. I'm digging the blue stitching and conspiring how to cover up that HGTV logo.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a great craft show. is that the most intricate freezer paper stencil ever that you have in the works? i'm intrigued...

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, can't wait to see how that stencil turns out!
some cool blue/green/black mod fabric would look great on the bag - in a wide stripe across it?

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm freakin' impressed with that freezer paper stencil. You go, girl!

I'd have loved to have gone to that craft show with you. If you should happen to be anywhere near the Twin Cities around 12/1-12/2 we could go to the No Coast show together. Pie in the sky, I know, but hey anything is possible.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - looks like that is quite the show! loved checking out your links, especially the strawberry luna. I might be able to pick up a christmas present there! and having not tried freezer paper stenciling, I am amazed at your sneak peek. I can't wait to see what you turn out.

9:07 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

If we're talking pie in the sky, you should all come to da Burgh for Handmade Arcade next year! Bring your wares and set up shop! Or just shop, like I did.

See today's post for freezer paper follow up. Not good.

About the bag: Kirsten, I like how you think!

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home