Saturday, November 18, 2006

upheaval


It is three days till the Cavalcade of Houseguests, Thanksgiving Edition, and the contents of our kitchen are residing in our sunroom. And in our dining room. Because J is sanding and refinishing our kitchen floor. Which is a good thing. And really, is there ever a bad time to have a house full of sawdust?

Or a sinus infection?

On the plus side, I've finished Christmas gifts for three family members. I've conceptualized gifts for three more, which is half the battle, or some fraction, anyway. Even if it's a tiny fraction, I'll take it.

Having a handmade Christmas is so important to me in so many ways, and one of the things I love is that my Christmas shopping consists of the Handmade Arcade, a big trip to the fabric/arts & crafts supply store, and ransacking my own stash and supplies. Done! I know some people love the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, but I'm not one of them. I'm happiest when I can hunker down in a holiday cocoon of my own making. At home.

All this crafting is also therapeutic, and I've needed it. It's been a stressful week, and it's left me in a state of suspense/dread (not sure which is appropriate, so ricocheting between the two) about something I care about very much. Sorry I can't be too much more specific than that at this point. But getting some Christmas crafting done makes me feel... a little more in control. And that's all we really want sometimes, isn't it? To feel in control. Is that so much to ask?

P.S. Misplaced fabric paint update: I shouted it out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have dreams of redoing our kitchen (with it's inch of counter space and one plug at counter height, it's the least functional kitchen I've ever lived in) but then I remember when my mother redid her kitchen (on the cheap and it came out great) several years ago and well, my dreams are shattered by what the reality of it would be.

But refinishing the floors? That's slightly more doable. Yes, the weekend before Thanksgiving isn't perhaps the best time to have embarked on such a project but just think how nice your floors will look on Thanksgiving day. Maybe that's not enough of a payoff but I'm trying to look of the bright side here. It'll be over soon and then you can get back to blowing your nose in your sawdust covered home while doing some holiday crafting.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i, too, was doing some Christmas crafting today - and oh, how therapeutic after a stressful week! i wish i had more handmade stuff for my kiddos - but grandma to the rescue on that end! :)

11:43 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

I think the brightest side is that this year, I'll have a kitchen floor I can actually clean after the huge Thanksgiving cookfest!

Crafty grandmas rock.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

This room still looks absolutley gorgoues! I love the colour of the walls, and the hanging mobile, and your chairs - I won't go on ...

4:34 AM  
Blogger MARGARITA ANTA DONADO said...

muy bonito tu blog.. muy entrañable y familiar.... entré porque está justo detrás del mío del ayuntamiento de VILLANÁZAR.. las fotos me encantan , sobretodo la del puzle... un saludito desde ESPAÑA Y OLE´ GUAPETONA..............

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home