Saturday, December 02, 2006

change is good


Listen! That loud exhaling sound you hear is my immense sigh of relief. Today I can finally say what I have been waiting and wanting to say for months: Santa is bringing me a new job this year. In the new year, actually, I'm going to begin working for a bigshot local philanthropic foundation, doing work I care about with people I like. Imagine!

My new job is part-time, a change of pace I will welcome, even though it won't exactly mean the rest of my time will be my own. In January I start teaching again – a university undergraduate course on historic preservation – which is always a pretty intensive commitment. But whereas in past years I have guiltily stolen the time for my class from other parts of my life, usually work (bad) or family (worse), this part-time gig should open up some breathing room. The idea is to even have time left over for writing – this* and my book.

* I know, I've been holding out on you. Mainly because J's name is on the byline too, and we were worried about my outing him and his blog, on which he comments freely about local politics, while I was a city employee. But now what are they going to do, fire me?

Oh, man, is it going to feel good to resign. Bittersweet, in fact, but heavy on the sweet. Last night we celebrated with cocktails. Iris even had one of her own. We are very, very bad parents. If it helps to know this, J called it a virgin Shirley Temple because it didn't even have fizz, just water, lemon, and a maraschino cherry. Her glass: a votive candle holder.


You can go ahead and say the weather is not in synch with my inner emotional climate if you want to, but I know it all revolves around me! The sun came out today, allowing actual light to enter the lens of the camera for another Christmas crafting sneak peek. This is a more generous one than usual since the gift recipient is not old enough to find her mother's blog on the internet. Although she does see it occasionally over my shoulder. Must be careful.

5 Comments:

Blogger pixiegenne said...

congratulations on all the wonderful change in your life!

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Change sounds really good. Mazel tov

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting news! Good for you! Wishing you the best in your new endeavors.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations -- sounds exciting!

So you guys do restaurant reviews? That sounds like fun!

I'm a husband's-blog-holder-outter, too. :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

Thanks all!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home