Friday, April 06, 2007

nesting 1-2-3

My friend Marijke is about to pop with Anya's new little baby brother or sister, but it is I who am nesting like crazy. I've been poring over my cache of decorating/design books, especially this one


which is overflowing with deliciousness on every page.

Just a few of the pictures that inspire me:


I love this setup for vertical storage/display. Of course, it requires a wall unimpeded by a door or a window, and my 100-year-old house has precious few of those.


I've always wanted to make a bed frame out of plumbing fixtures. No, seriously, I have. I love the way this one integrates fabric panels. I'd have colored and/or patterned ones and change them for the seasons. J thinks he may be able to figure out a way to build a bench into the footboard.


Having realized recently that we have just enough room in our kitchen for a narrow island, we made an actual design for one, inspired by this, last night.


The pocket doors between our living room and front hall are long gone. Maybe we could rig up some cool rolling collage of salvaged panels, like this one. Another thing about this picture: surprising no one more than my own self, I find this room's color scheme to be extremely pleasing.


I so need something like this. Where does one acquire an "old industrial trolley"?


And this picture, from another book, may lead to a design for the cabinetry/open shelving we want to build at some point between our living and dining rooms.

On a related topic, you can see some bits of my current decor right now over at ikea hacker. Just be warned – the danger of getting sucked in to Jules's site is extremely high.

Oh, and if you're wondering how the playroom turned out, or even if you're not, I'll post a picture as soon as our beautiful spring sunshine comes back. That's right – I'm holding the playroom hostage for spring.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you and your craftiness and taste were fantastic. The impressive spread on Ikea Hacker confirms it. You can come hack my house anytime, friend.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you find two industrial trolleys, let me have the other one, ok?

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Thanks for the info on the book. I love interior design on a budget. The color schemes are comforting in the bedroom. One book I use a lot is Colors for your every mood by Leatrice Eiseman. Again, thanks for sharing!

8:33 AM  
Blogger amy h said...

I love all those pics! Our dining room table is actually made of plumbing parts, and so is my husband's desk. It's pretty fun.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Gina said...

Wow! I love the photos -- so inspirational. I happen to be a Pittsburgh gal by birth. By the way, I think you haircut looks fantastic.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Jessy said...

I read about your painted IKEA chest and it was AMAZING!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Just had one of those surreal moments: I was planning to try to find a decorating book a friend had shown me at my local library, but I couldn't remember its name. Then I ran across this post, and thought I'd see if the library carried this book. They don't, so I thought, well, maybe they have other books by Emily Chalmers. They do. And voila: one of them was the book my friend had shown me, Flea Market Style. You should definitely check it out - a treasure trove of really beautiful ideas.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home