Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Ay, the fjords are lovely this time of year, me love

King of the leopards. That’s what Iris called a construction worker yesterday. He was wearing a camo-patterned sweatshirt, and she pointed him out when we were stopped next to a building site and said, “I think he is the king of the leopards. Because he has spots.”

The really funny part is that I can trace this seeming flight of fancy directly back to, of all things, St. Patrick’s Day. You know, the holiday with the shamrocks, the pot o’ gold, and the leopard-chaun? The tricky leopard-chaun who hides a treasure box of candy for you and your preschool cronies to find?

Iris came home from school on March 17 and told us, “The leopard played a trick on us today!” I thought this was just another mysteriously decontextualized slice of retold preschool life until, a week later, I hit my forehead with the heel of my hand and said to J, “But of course! The teachers said a leprechaun played a trick on them! But she doesn’t know what a leprechaun is, so she heard leopard.’”

Mystery solved! Now if only someone could explain why the leopard-chaun filled the treasure box with Swedish fish.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cute - i love when kids hear the words they know. when i was little, running errands was running erins.

8:22 AM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

ha! when i was little running errands was running erins, too! and i have a big sister named erin so i always thought that meant my mom or dad were driving her somewhere...

12:35 PM  
Blogger cinnamon gurl said...

Haha... I just realized this past weekend how similar "leper colony" sounds to "leprechaun"... leopard is much better.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home