Sunday, February 11, 2007

not much, how about you?

I'm checking in to dust off my little corner of the blogosphere, not really knowing what I'm going to say. We have been having a quiet month. Wake, work, school, home, play, eat, sleep. Routine in the most comforting, contented sense. Outside of this, I haven't been doing much, but this has been enough. This, and noticing that the days really are getting longer and lighter. I can hunker down and enjoy this frigid patch of winter knowing spring is truly, if not right around the corner, then at least just a block or so away.


These days have been all about small pleasures. Like this wee plant our potter friend Gary – the one who made our bathroom sink – gave to Iris in a little pot he made. She would kill it with kindness if we let her (like, water it five times a day).

We did break with routine last weekend for a visit to Washington, DC to visit my sisters-in-law, or "the aunties" as they're more commonly known. I got to see the Joseph Cornell exhibit, which was amazing, and we had a belated Christmas gift exchange. Which means I can finally reveal the most intricate freezer paper stencil ever:


Ta-da! An Eleanor Roosevelt shirt for Auntie R.


And for Auntie A, a silk throw in her favorite colors, quilted and lined with cozy flannel. Except for the fabric and the colors, it's actually the exact same thing as Iris' blanket. I often make prototypes of new projects for her because neither Iris nor I will care if they're not perfect.

And I do have to show off the absolutely stunning vintage barkcloth fabric Ronica gave to me:


I could look at it for hours!

Now that Christmas crafting is finally over, I'm off to make valentines.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that freezer paper stencil is amazing! i am sure she loves her shirt.

5:51 PM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

not much here, either, but nice to hear from you!
xoxo
(awesome freezer paper stencil. and throw)

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it takes a special kind of person to appreciate an eleanor roosevelt shirt! (also to make one! :)

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Lord, I thought that was Burt Reynolds, not Eleanor Roosevelt. These stupid bifocals are driving me nuts.

3:02 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

A Burt Reynolds shirt - why didn't I think of that!

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home