Sunday, January 21, 2007

the squirrel has got my back


Oh, hello! It's been a little over a week since I've posted anything here, but I realize that's an eternity in internet time. Where have I been? In Transitionville, my friend. We came back from the forest, where we were more in danger of drowning (from the constant rain) than freezing (we stayed in a cozy cabin with a fireplace), and the next day I started my new job on the 30th floor of the office building of milk and honey.


It's like my new employers wanted – are you ready for this? - to create an office space where people would feel comfortable and happy and provided for so they would like being at work! And it's working! I like it!

As a foundation that supports, among other things, arts and culture, my new workplace has an art collection, curated by my boss. She said I could pick a piece from the collection for my office. Well, I went to look at what was left and it was clearly the dregs: a few old newspaper engravings of Ye Olde Steel Workers and Ye Olde Blast Furnances – you might think that I, as a historic preservationist by training, would jump at these, but actually, not so much – and one great big oversized photograph of a squirrel.*

So I said, "I'll take the squirrel!" and such a commotion broke out! Everyone, it seemed, had an opinion about the squirrel, from "I knew I was going to like her! She picked the squirrel!" to "It's so creepy! I couldn't have that in my office!" If it was a litmus test, I guess everyone now knows where I stand on pictures of suburban rodents. Bring 'em on!

If you want to know what it's like to spend three days in a cabin in the forest with two toddlers while it rains relentlessly outside, there are more pictures on Flickr. None of squirrels, however.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: my plans for the rest of the afternoon. A hot mug of tea, leftover Christmas emmy-ems, as Iris calls them, and the East Village Inky. Bliss.



* For some reason I couldn't link directly to the picture in question, so if you want to experience the squirrely goodness, you'll have to do a little navigating here: first to "color," then to "chipmunk," which is on the second page. You say chipmunk, I say squirrel, but let's not call the whole thing off because I love having this larger-than-life little guy in my office.
Thanks Sarah for the direct link!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, the new job sounds wonderful already!

And here's a direct link to the photo for you. Eek!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eek, indeed! :)
and it doesn't count as camping when you're in a cabin!

5:38 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

OK, so that's "eek:" two, "aww:" zero.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, i am not sure if you will see this comment as it is now months past the posting date. however, i wanted to ask where you got the mug in your picture. it looks just like the tile we just got for the backsplash in our kitchen. only green. ours is blue. but anyway, i like your mug.

10:10 AM  
Blogger angelique said...

Hi anonymous! I got 6 of these mugs at a very mod home store in Washington DC last year. I could find out the name and address if you think you might be in the neighborhood. Let me know.

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home