Thursday, January 04, 2007

the end



Of an era. Is in sight. Is the beginning. Pick your ending.

Tomorrow is my last day at City Planning (I’m not giving anything away here that I haven’t already said before, am I? I’m too lazy to go back and check old posts to see if I rashly identified my workplace. But I’m sure I did, probably hoping not-so-subconsciously to be discovered and fired.) Eight years I’ve been there! That’s longer than I’ve been anywhere, including childhood homes. Longer than I’ve lived in my house or known my husband. Damn.

I’m not going to reiterate all the reasons I’ve loved this work and hate to leave it, or why I have to go. Wow, that sounds a lot like talking about a break-up. I’m just going to say that this work has been so tied up with Who I Am for so long, it is really strange to feel that tie dissolving.

Cleaning out my desk drawer at work, here are some old fortunes I found:


     Change is the watchword of progress.

     Don’t be afraid to take that big step.

     You are on the verge of something big.

     If you feel you are right, stand firmly by your
     convictions.

     In the near future, you will discover how fortunate you
     are.


Actually, I think the future is here.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Horray for the future! Here's hoping for a smooth transition from old to new.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

congratulations! the future is now. and it is yours!

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best of luck to you in your new venture!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Best of luck to you in your new endeavor. I'll be thinking of you!

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Nicola C said...

Great reading your blog postt

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home