Friday, January 12, 2007

turquoise this and turquoise that


My most recent thrift finds make me want to host a brunch! My favorite meal. I can just taste the coffee in this percolator – okay, I'm a bit of a snob so I'd actually use it as a carafe, after brewing in my trusty Krups – and see the scones piled on that square turquoise platter. Raspberry ginger scones. (Does anyone have a good scone recipe that I could adapt in an attempt to reproduce these? I've never made them myself, just remember them dreamily from my favorite bakery in Cambridge, MA, which I hear has now closed, ending access to those scones forever unless I figure something out.)

I'm really warming to this brunch idea. Ooooh, I could use my other turquoise dishes, too!


I realize my little raku vase is not a dish, but a brunch table needs a flower or two. And see those glasses in the handy-dandy caddy? It's not a brunch without bloody Marys. Though bloody Marys and scones... I don't know... I may have to rethink this menu. Savory scones, maybe. Anyway, the glasses were a wedding present. Don't the best wedding presents come from thrift stores? So you can't register, but the surprise is half the fun.

I'm so fond of this color, I painted a whole room with it. It came out a little brighter than I intended. It's like being inside a Tiffany box – are those also turquoise on the inside? I wouldn't know – so we call it the Tiffany room.


This ceramic pot is a handpainted Czech piece from the 1930s or maybe the 40s marked "Ditmar Urbach." It was my grandmother's, but I don't know how or where she got it. My mom just gave it to me. I adore it.

And now, I am going to be quiet for a few days. All is quiet on the western Pennsylvania front. Unplugged, even. We are going camping with friends in a cabin in the woods. What else would you do in the middle of January? The weather forecast says rainy and cold, so I can tell you this: we're packing heavy.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Corning Ware. When I first saw your percolator I thought it was the same pattern as this piece, http://www.flickr.com/photos/51674556@N00/255008153/in/set-72157594413530085/, I found in the not so distant past, but after a side-by-side photo comparison I found it wasn't. Similar though. The torquios dishes are enviable too. I wish I had such good luck.

Have fun in the woods. I hope it's not too wet and too cold.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the raku vase - i got to try that in college - pretty fascinating. love all the turquoise.

and please don't freeze! you guys are crazy. take those chemical hand warmers!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have a great weekend - stay dry and warm!

i have a good recipe for carrot ginger scones - a bit more savory than raspberry. email me if you want it.

2:20 PM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

a)i want to come to your house for brunch. it would be so pretty and so tasty.
b)i love vintage czech stuff. that piece you have is beautiful!
c)i can't freakin' believe you are going camping in january. that's a big check plus in my husband's book. i've been accused of misrepresenting how outdoorsy i actually am when john and i first met. summer car camping is my limit these days. stay dry!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi! I stopped over from flickr, for the dishes, but after reading your other posts, I'm staying! Great crafting and interesting reading!

10:34 PM  
Blogger SoulPony said...

found your blog through flickr. love it.

8:35 PM  
Blogger heather_ly said...

This is a late comment but I just stumbled across your blog and saw that you were looking for a scone recipe - love the percolator by the way - and the best recipe I have found is here:
http://recipesorangette.blogspot.com/

Her blog is beautiful and her recipes are simply amazing. These scones are quick to make and super tasty.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home