Sunday, January 28, 2007

looking up


When I was a little kid, I used to sometimes lay on my back on the floor and try to imagine what life would be like if we lived upside-down on the ceiling. What can I say - I was an only child.

This morning I lay on the refinished wood kitchen floor, which is scrumptiously warm and toasty from the radiant heating coils underneath, and played with Iris and looked up and thought about what a good, full week it's been. It was a busy work week and a busy life week, even if you count (and I do) the fact that I've been spending way too much time just watching the snow. Maybe it's because I grew up mostly in the south (another weird thing about me, perhaps?) so while everyone around me is grousing about traffic and snow tires and so on, I still find snow really magical.

I didn't spend much time at all on the computer, aside from work, last week. It wasn't intentional; it just didn't happen. Other things happened instead. Like serendipitously running into my husband as I left my office downtown, riding along with him to the neighborhood where he had a meeting, and finding the perfect pair of dressy yet supremely comfortable black shoes while he talked to his client. Wearing said shoes out on a date with him. Dinner with friends. Singing silly songs with Iris. Taking her to the cafe for a cookie. Playing on the floor. Reading the new CRAFT:zine, which I really like. As I said, it was a good week, full of non-digital pleasures. I should try that more often.



I have been in a bit of a crafting coma except for a couple of mini-projects I worked on in the Cook Forest. This is partly due to the aforementioned snow-spotting, and partly to my class and my new job starting, but probably mostly because my nomadic studio is migrating yet again, this time back to where it began. So I'm not really set up, and it takes time to get set up, and I haven't really spent that time. Also Helen is having some issues that make me have to take a deep breath before embarking on any sewing, but sew I must, because I have one more Christmas (!!) present to finish up before seeing my sisters-in-law next weekend.

Deep breath. Fingers crossed. Off to sew I go!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i used to imagine the upside-down life too! congrats on the toasty new floor + super productive + social week.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it sounds like you had a wonderful week. i am jealous of your warm floor!

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle book series? Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle used crafty, semi-magical methods of changing children's naughty behavior. Anyway, she lived in an upside-down house, and I too used to lie on the bed with my head hanging off and imagine what fun that would be.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never would've guessed the growing up in the South thing. Really. Never.

Glad you had such a wonderful week. Those shoes would've been enough for me. Do you think a gal who really can't wear heels anymore could wear them without, you know, dying from the pain?

I packed up Iris' hat today and will head to the P.O. tomorrow. You might have it in your hands by the weekend.

8:05 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

Thanks all! Ellen - I never had Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books but my mom remembers them fondly. I'll ask her if she recalls the upside-down house.

Sarah - I can't wear heels either unless they are like these... cushioned and super-comfy. I bet you could wear these and believe me, you'll feel like a million bucks when you do.

10:28 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

I also did the upside-down thing -- along with the inside-out thing (trying to change the direction of the dimension).

The refinished floors look great!

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home