Sunday, December 09, 2007

let it snow let it snow let it snow



As has been well documented on this site already, I am not a big holidays person. I am about as likely to get into the Christmas spirit as I am to win a gold medal in pole vaulting (or anything, for that matter – I have no idea why pole vaulting was the first feat of athleticism to leap, no pun intended, to mind). I try not to be too Grinchy about it, but I would not mind skipping Christmas altogether. I used to fantasize about spending the day alone in my apartment, eating chocolate, drinking Champagne, and watching videos. That was when I was single, of course. I should have gone ahead and done it then. Now that I have a child and a husband whose abundant Christmas spirit is so infectious, I sometimes wonder if I just might catch the bug myself, that is obviously not an option.

For me, the real highlight of winter is snow. Probably because I grew up in the south, where winter was just rainy and a white Christmas seemed like a fairy tale, snow is still magical to me. While people all round me are grousing about delays and inconveniences of one kind and another, I am happy inside. I love to walk in it, make footprints, hear it crunch under the soles of my boots, see it pile up on tree branches and rooftops. I love to sit inside under a blanket with a hot mug and watch it fall outside the window. I love its silence. I love the way the sky and the ground are the same color when it snows.

Today it is raining. I started this post the day before yesterday, when it was snowing, and have only just had a moment to finish it. That's the way things have been around here lately – no wonder I have gotten nothing made for Christmas. Nada. I better put on my pointy elf boots and hat and dust off my workbench or kiss my handmade holiday aspirations goodbye, and really, let's face it, nothing brings out the Grinch in me like Christmas shopping. Shudder!

5 Comments:

Blogger kirsten said...

wow, i had no idea you were such a grinch! :)
maybe you can think of a way to make it better for yourself? shopping earlier, simplifying (although, if i remember right, you guys do a great job of that already), picking something really fun that YOU want to do... i don't know - do you need more Christmas music? :)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

you mean i'm not alone?
i credit it to too many years working in retail shops.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Ronica said...

You would like the Colorado attitude snow. It is, always, a cause for celebration. Most places, people grouse. Even if they don't mean it, to complain is the default conversation. Not in Colorado. Here, it is a cause for positive celebration every time. Even when you know you won't make it to the slopes. Such joy. Like a whole city full of 3-year-olds, just thrilled at the magic. :) We just had a great Snow Day on Saturday.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Nanette said...

I'm just basking in the refreshingly cool breeze of grinchiness. There is a place for it in the hectic happiness of the season. Love your description of snow - I don't know much about it myself but it sounds lovely the way you tell it!
xx

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's 80 degrees here in Georgia! Wah!

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home