Sunday, April 29, 2007

home ec

So there I was, performing my thrift-shop ritual of rifling through the racks of kids' clothes, when my eye just happened to wander over to the toy shelves and I spotted this:


Holy Fisher-Price vision of Tudoresque suburban bliss, Batman! Needless to say, I abandoned the clothing immediately and all but tackled it in my zeal to claim it before the lone grandmotherly type who was also cruising the store, who probably could not have cared less about it anyway. At 79 cents, there's no buyer's remorse, not even after Iris decides the Fisher-Price sticker on the roof needs redecorating with her markers. Oh well, it was pretty trashed anyway. The rest of the house is in move-in condition – the doorbell even works!

The funny thing is, just a couple weeks ago I found this at another thrift:


Sort of the pastel 80s urban update on the classic suburban single-family dollhouse. The tiger has a bachelorette pad above the pet shop (hmm, is that a little like living above the pizzeria? Best not to think too hard about that), and the beauty salon around back is convenient for getting her stripes touched up. As I recall, this little beauty was 99 cents. Well, you know, real estate in the city is through the roof.

Speaking of roof, I just love that these houses have handles for carrying them and their contents around, and so does Iris. It's hard to say which of us gets more of a kick out of them.

My own life-size house is the object of all my creative/crafting energy right now – I'm still deep in nesting mode – so don't expect (not that you do) any cleverness in the crafting department here. Right now, it's all about the rectangle: placemats, napkins, curtains. Maybe I'll branch out into triangles and make one of those pennant-banner thingies for Iris' playroom. You never know!

Before I go, a picture from today's seed- and flower-planting fest, just because... because it's so damn nice to see and live life outdoors again.

5 Comments:

Blogger jen j-m said...

i totally had that house as a kid! happy memories.
nice scores you got!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I frequently dream of owning a house with a handle. I'd like to pick this baby up & deposit it somewhere on the Italian Riviera!
PS. I enjoy reading your blog enormously!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a find! i had the fisher price number as a kid...

8:20 AM  
Blogger amy h said...

I had that Fisher Price house, too! I loved it!

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had that very same fisher price house when we where kids. I immediately sent this post to my three sisters and they all want it!
The one you found looks like it's in great condition. Congrats.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home