Monday, May 12, 2008

free to a good home

OK, I can have the baby now.

I spent the afternoon in a furious fit of nesting, cleaning the nursery and then re-stocking it with the contents of all the boxes of toys, board books, cloth diapers, diaper covers, bibs, hats, and other infant-related whatnot that I hauled up from the basement. Because the baby will need toys and board books urgently, without delay! Honey, hand me a shape-sorter, stat! I am reminded of when I was pregnant with Iris and I asked a friend, who as the parent of a 15-month-old seemed cloaked in the wisdom of motherhood, what we would really need when we brought our baby home. "Not much," my friend said. "Pretty much just diapers and breasts." What a comfort that was.

Anyway, since Iris moved into her big-girl room and up until today, the nursery has basically served as a clothing-sorting station. I've been sifting through four years of her wardrobe, sorting the girlie from the unisex, that to be donated to Goodwill from that to be taken to the consignment store. (I play a little game where I try to never, or almost never, spend actual money on her clothes, but recycle the old for credit toward the "new." Does anyone else do this?) Of course I've made a little sentimental stack of things to keep – favorite dresses, the baby peasant blouse my friend sent her from Paris and which she wore for her first Christmas photos, the tiny shoes she wore to my sisters-in-laws' wedding.

But there are a couple other things I'm having trouble just boxing up and giving away. Things which Iris never even wore, but which I'd like to pass on to someone who will really appreciate them.

So, do you have or know a kindred spirit who has a small baby girl? If so, I offer the following free to a good home:


If you can resist the toadstools, polka dots, and ruffles of this outfit, then I really think someone should check your pulse. I don't even like mushrooms and I am still getting over the fact that Iris never got to wear this. My mom gave it to her because the toadstools reminded her of Germany, but sadly, so sadly, it was the wrong size/season for her little peanut baby self, and I never got to put it on her even once. It is size 6 months.


I admit I picked up this little vintage (80s?) Hanna Andersson one-piece romper/jumper thingie on a thrift expedition before I found out that Baby Brudder was, in fact, a brudder. Now, I am pretty liberal when it comes to raising a boy in a lavender-painted nursery with flowered curtains, but it turns out I draw the line at dressing him in pale pink stripes. This is a Euro size 60, which is about the equivalent of US 3-6 months.

Interested? Just email me at chartreusebag (at) mac (dot) com. And stay tuned – there may be more as the sorting continues.

4 Comments:

Blogger wayfarer said...

oh my the polka dots are killing me! love it!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

A few thoughts...

1. I'm ecstatic to learn you used/will use cloth diapers. It means that soaker knitting potential exists in my life.

2. I totally play the "free clothes" game. I did it more with L than I do now with A, but only because she has her sister's hand-me-downs.

3. If there were to be more babies in my life, I'd be all over the toadstool outfit. There, however, will be NO MORE BABIES, so I'll leave it to someone else. ;)

3:21 PM  
Blogger house on hill road said...

i used to do the free clothes thing, but no longer since my children wear the same size although two years apart. ugh.

and morgan (one more moore) is about ready to pop with a baby girl. red ruffles and toadstools and polka dots look just like her. do you read her blog? she might like that - plus she lives in l.a. so the weather is not as big of an issue.

8:52 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

How I wish either of those would fit Charlotte! She is a 7-month-old wearing 18-month clothing right now. Ay.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home