Sunday, March 16, 2008

oh boy!

What with all the excitement in the kitchen – still in the worse-before-it-gets-better stage, but definitely coming along – it's been easy to forget that anything else is going on.

But wait, I've got another major project in the works, haven't I?


I mean aside from taming the atrocious bedhead in this picture. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and feeling almost as big as I did when I was about to pop with Iris. Pictures from that pregnancy reveal otherwise, but it's clear that my abdominal muscles long ago threw up their metaphorical hands at the challenge of holding this one in check. Through the miracle of ultrasound and a cooperative baby, whom I deliberately jacked up prior to the procedure with a banana and some chocolate, all three of us got to see inside that belly last week. As a result we now know with crystal clarity that not only is my placenta high and dry (hooray!), the baby attached to it is (drumroll please) a boy!

Now, if it had been another girl, that would have been great. We'd have four years' experience parenting a girl under our belts, an entire wardrobe on hand, even a name already picked out – and Iris would have the sister she's wanted since before I even got pregnant. But oh boy, a boy! This will be a whole new adventure. Thorny circumcision question aside, and despite the fact that I think choosing a boy's name is really, really hard, I'm thrilled.

Other reactions have included the following:

Iris: "I'm going to be the big sister to a little brother!" [Notable for her enthusiasm at the news. I asked the ultrasound technician to whisper it to her, so she got to be the first one to know and the one to tell mom and dad. Female-centric that she is, she'd hoped for a sister, and we were a little worried about how she'd take it if it happened to be a brother instead. But as my yoga teacher pointed out, "A brother is different from a boy."]

My mother: "I'm speechless! We don't have boys in our family!"

My father: "Now I can start looking for tiny lederhosen!"

Fellow parent from Iris' preschool: "That's perfect – now you'll have a complete set!"

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Blogger is not my friend. Let's try this one more time...

Boys are uncharted territory in this house of girls. We were never able to come to any sort of resolution on the circumcision issue. The best we were able to do was decide that if we were going to go that route, we'd have it done by a mohel and, as such, we'd have seven days to sort it all out once we had a baby in hand. Obviously, it never came to that...either time.

And names? Wow. Our list was damn short. Good luck with that.

Foreskins and names aside, a boy sounds like a grand adventure. And really, anything that includes miniature lederhosen has got to be good.

9:14 PM  
Blogger house on hill road said...

congrats angelique! that is so exciting. of course, i have no advice to give you whatsoever with all the girl power here. but the thought of tiny lederhosen made me smile big. my baby brother had some and he was so dang cute in them!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations and Oh wow, now you're really putting us to shame. You've been doing all the great work on your home and you're PREGNANT! I don't think I made a grilled cheese while pregnant with my second. I LOL about the lederhosen. I found the coolest pair at a thrift store and my oldest (5) just rolls his eyes when I suggest he wear them. I have 2 boys and a page worth of boy's name suggestions if you're interested!
Tracey

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations, angelique!
boys are so fun.
and i'm glad iris reacted so maturely - unlike my daughter, who, when she found out she was having a 2nd brother, refused to speak to anyone for at least 24 hours. she was furious. ;)

11:11 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Congratulations! Boys are fun, and sooo sweet.

12:02 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

Happy boy to you! And that's wonderful news about the placenta. Stay healthy!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look the business!! Excuse the stereotypical pregnancy adjectives but 'blooming' and 'glowing' spring immediately to mind. Boy? Dang. Totally unchartered territory for me too, although I love the idea of getting 'the set'. On another subject, I am pleased to report that I have finally used 'Bossy McBickersons' in the appropriate context with my daughter who has since been heard reprimanding a pair of her dolls in a similar fashion.
xx

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home