Tuesday, February 19, 2008

movin' on up

The big news in our house actually is not a new school, at least not yet, but a new room. We got Iris' big girl room finished with plenty of time to spare before little brother or sister lays claim to the nursery, thinking that we might be in for an extended transition. The new room is on the third floor, whereas her old room and ours are on the second, and for all her stated enthusiasm about sleeping up there, we fully expected there to be nights when she chickened out. But after her first night kickin' it big-girl style, almost a month ago now, she has not looked back. She says her old room is Baby's now. Man, what a big girl.

Up for a little tour?


We have taken to calling this the Magic Bed because the sleep she gets there is, well, enchanted. She hops into this bed early and, dare I say it, eagerly. What's more, she stays there. And the sleep she gets there is so deep and long and satisfying, she wakes up cheerful and amiable. I'm totally giving this bed a raise, a promotion, and a corner office.


Right now the Magic Bed is wearing mismatched thrifted sheets.


I also freezer-paper-stenciled some hand-me-down sheets.


Remember the dresser I painted (and scraped and scraped and scraped) last summer? A little wax on her drawers, some new painted pulls, and she's a working girl again.


Hamper. Hooks. In the frames are pictures of friends and family we wish we saw more often.


The closet in this room (not pictured) is one of those old-fashioned, six-inch-shallow ones. So to hold hanging clothes, I repurposed an old wardrobe that was sitting around in our basement. The doors were warped, so I replaced them with a noren curtain from my days in Japan.


Ubiquitous Billy bookcase from Ikea and the best part of the whole room – the windowseat. Actually, there's another one, too, next to the dresser, but this is the one with the view.

And just in case you're wondering how a little kid's room can be so uncluttered with toys, it's only because the playroom is right across the hall, taking the brunt of it:

14 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

[Either blogger is not letting me comment, or a whole batch will show up at once, sorry!]

Both rooms are really lovely, and Iris is a lucky girl!

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so so pretty! iris has the best room ever. i love that it's all girly and pink, but eclectic and interesting.

11:23 AM  
Blogger house on hill road said...

it's gorgeous, angelique! in our last house the girls were on the third floor. i kind of miss that. also, could you have iris tell kate that beds can be magic? that would sure help us out a bunch. thanks.

5:58 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

Love that room! So sweet. What did you use under the easle in the playroom to catch the paint? I've been toying with sewing something but don't know what material to use or getting an office chair mat though functionable not very pretty. I really like how yours looks and it looks like it stays flat...tips?

loving your blog...

9:34 AM  
Blogger beki said...

I'm gonna have to use the "magic bed" trick when I move Ava into a big girl bed, I like that. I love the new room, so cheery - and I love the mismatched thrifted sheets, I think they're perfect.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Sherrin said...

wow those draws are amazing, what a fantastic idea!
-Sherrin

6:35 PM  
Blogger Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

So gorgeous, that quilt is just beautiful, and as for the dresser, ispiring! Thank you for sharing.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the way you write.

Thanks for the tour. I love love love the dresser, want to give that a go sometime. And where did you get the great little wooden chair under the window seat? I covet.

Selah

1:32 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Found your blog recently. I love what you did with the dresser. Do you live in one of those lovely old houses in pittsburgh? Lived in Oakmont for 3 years in the late 90's and loved all the old homes.

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And so much room, my children would be deeply envious of all that space. Where did you find those great flower hooks? I've been looking for some hooks that are playful and colorful for my daughter's room. She's closetless and I think it would help all of us if she has a place to hang her things.

kelley

12:10 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Your whole house looks like a magical place to grow up in! Nicely done.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ComPLETely speechless with the loveliness of it all!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Nicole Morell said...

Lovely, really lovely. Iris' artwork pinned at kid height is sweet!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Spearmint Baby said...

hi! would it be okay to feature your children's bedrooms on my blog, spearmintbaby.com?
you can contact me at spearmintbaby@gmail.com
thanks, shari

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home