Saturday, January 26, 2008

i have a little neti pot, short and stout


My sinuses have always been my Achilles heel. Stress, exhaustion, a cold, dogsitting... it all ends in sinusitis. I had been battling a low-grade case for weeks before the three-dog weekend, and in the ensuing allergic aftermath I guess it got the best of me. For the past three days I have been slammed by migraine-grade sinus headaches that I cannot cope with except by going to bed.

In desperation, I broke down and got a neti pot. J has been trying to sell me on the idea for years (not that he has ever used one. He would not know a sinus if it bit him), but, like any sane person, I am afraid of drowning, and I figured that's what it would feel like to pour salt water through my nasal passages.

So? I won't go so far as to say it's "pleasant and soothing" as the package literature attests, but I could breathe through my mouth while I was doing it, so I didn't get too panicky. Too soon to say if it's helping. "Persistence," counseled my neighbor, a veteran neti potter. My other neighbor, who grew up in LA, said he never had sinus problems until he stopped swimming in the ocean every day, so there must be something to it. Or maybe, like a 19th century woman of delicate constitution, the answer is to move to a seaside town for its "restorative atmosphere." You never saw a Henry James character hanging over the sink with with a neti pot, am I right?

It's probably my overall mood more than anything – the pain and the wasted days are getting me down – but I was looking in the mirror the other day and thinking, I have no business having a baby. I am anything but the picture of a radiant young mother-to-be, me with my gray hair and tired face and a neti pot up my nose.

Iris, doubtfully observing my neti ritual: "Mama, are little kids allowed to watch this?"

6 Comments:

Blogger amy h said...

I loooove my neti pot. I usually only use it when my allergies are acting up or I have a cold, but it helps so much. I've noticed that my colds aren't as severe or long-lasting. I don't have to take as much allergy medicine either. Keep at it!

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband loves his little neti. I tried it on my 5 year old and he's still traumatized. I laughed at your daughters comment!
Selah

5:32 PM  
Blogger a_gosling said...

As a preggy mama with bad sinuses, whose 2 year old says every morning, "me laugh at Mama's neti" and giggles while I hang over my sink, I can assure you that it helps. Although I saw improvement after the very first use, it has taken some of my friends a few tries to appreciate it. While I was raving about it to my father, he said, "Hon, I've been using one for years." Why didn't I ever get THAT bit of fatherly advice...?

8:51 PM  
Blogger Sparkly Turtle said...

While I also love my neti pot (I only use it in times of need, though), I am amazed at anyone that will let someone else watch them use it. There is just something about leaning over the sink with this thing up my nose that has me making sure the bathroom door is closed first.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Nicole Morell said...

Goodness! Never heard of a neti pot until five minutes ago. I saw the photo and thought you were brewing up something lovely and herbal. Sorry that's not the case. If the neti didn't make you feel better I'm guessing Iris' reaction did. Hilarious.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband is SO freaked out by neti pots. i use saline drops when my sinuses are bothering me and it seems to help. iris' comment made me laugh my ass off.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home