Wednesday, March 05, 2008

politics for preschoolers, or: Iris for Hillary!

Iris and J are in the car, listening to NPR (don't tell the Waldorf School!), which is, as usual, covering the presidential primaries.

"What's a president?"

"The person who is the leader of our country. The people in our country get to pick a new president soon."

"Who is the old president?"

"A man named George W. Bush."

"What did he do?"

"Some very bad things."

"What kind of bad things?"

"He started a war he shouldn't have."

"For no good reason?"

"No good reason at all. And a lot of people have died because of that."

"Is that why I'm always hearing about dying on the radio?"

[cue parental weeping]

* * *

"Who is going to be the new president?"

"It's going to be one of three people...." [briefly describes Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, and John McCain]

"I hope that the she becomes president. It's not fair if the old president is a he and the new president is a he, too. Two he's in a row! It should be a he and then a she."

"You know what else is unfair? No one with dark skin has ever been president of our country. If Barack Obama becomes president, he will be the first president with dark skin."

Iris: unmoved. My daughter has clearly sworn her loyalty to the sisterhood above all else.

* * *

NPR on the radio again. Barack Obama's name is mentioned – some innocuous filler story about books by presidential candidates.

"They said Barack Obama!" [increasingly outraged] "Do they want Barack Obama to win?? Are they talking about Barack Obama because they're trying to get people to vote for him instead of Hillary Clinton?!?!"

If there's a media conspiracy at NPR, somehow I don't think that's it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nathan said...

love it!

although, my 9 year old does NOT want me to vote for Hillary b/c SHE wants to be the first woman president!

-carol

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me laugh. :)

3:57 PM  
Blogger wayfarer said...

:-) My son (who is 2) is an Obama supporter. No apparent reason except he loves saying his name. Well and when i voted he asked what i was doing and i said "voting for obama". But i think he just likes the inflection of the name. These kids should be running our country. They just get it don't they?

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm just a total sucker, but I got teary eyed when I explained who is running for president to my 5 year old. How cool that my little white boy is seeing a person of color and a woman run for president (and hopefully one of them will win)!

I added you to my blogroll but I don't know blog etiquette. Am I supposed to ask first?

Cheers,
Tracey

5:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Love that girl's passion...just don't tell her I voted for Obama. ;)

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home