Saturday, September 02, 2006

goodwill hunting

Wait, I don't think I made that title up. Are great finds blogging alike?


I have been waiting for this for years! Temporama at 50 cents a piece! There must have been a time when everyone and her sister was getting this for a wedding present – it's ubiquitous in vintage shops, around these parts anyway. I have always liked it, just never wanted to pay vintage shop prices. But then, there I was in the Goodwill on East Ohio Street, where I never find anything, only now I have to stop describing it that way because it was like Temporamarama. Not a complete set, obviously, but plenty to build on, and I expect it to outlast our easy-come easy-go Ikea dishes by decades.


But wait, there's more. Do you take one atomic particle or two in your tea?



I'm a sucker for pretty little Japanese things, so I couldn't resist this pretty little Japanese pitcher for 99 cents, though I did have to field questions from J about why we have so many little pitchers and creamers. I told him someday we'll have a big syrup-tasting party.


And I found new sheets for our bed, just in time to replace our old ones, which fell into shreds last week. Although I would not necessarily have picked these out new, it is uncanny how well the colors go with our room. The polka-dot pillowcases are from a different set that also happened to be at Goodwill, and I like them better than matching ones (which they didn't have anyway). Very autumnal, no?


Now, this bowl is not from Goodwill, but I fell in love and the vintage shop price was right. I'm not sure the photo captures it, but in each of the leaves you can see the weave of the silk used to screen them.

Other tidbits, good, bad, and neutral:

Yesterday Iris' friend Natalie came over to play. She has two daddies, so what do you think she called J? "Daddy." Aww! Somehow the girls' (considerable) combined energy created an anti-toddler field; J actually caught one of them handing the other a toy, saying, "Your turn!" Clearly an experiment to be repeated.

I know it it is hardly a tragedy compared to this, but my dishwasher is broken and can't be fixed till Wednesday.

Supposedly we have Tropical Storm Ernesto to thank (or blame, if you like) for this chilly wet weather, but it feels like September arrived and someone flipped a switch: Activate Fall. For the first time in months, we ate breakfast indoors. (homemade strawberry shortcake!) I feel like wearing fleece. Drinking hot tea. Ironing. Off I go.

5 Comments:

Blogger pixiegenne said...

she thrifts....she scores!!

7:02 PM  
Blogger shizzknits said...

Ohhh love those dishes. Very nice thrifting!

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those dishes are gorgeous - love the design on the mugs/teacups!

10:39 AM  
Blogger hannah said...

feeling slightly green over here looking at all those goods...

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love those dishes, you lucky sod!

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home