Sunday, August 05, 2007

it's raining, it's pouring


So, no pool today after all. We're taking a rain check, quite literally, but you won't hear me complaining, because it's the kind of good soaking rain we need to revive our poor tomato plants. Plus, the cool air is a relief.

It's been a challenge being inside all day, though. None of us is used to it.

My rainy-day project was making a curtain for our inner front door (our house has a vestibule, so we have two sets of doors – actually three in summer, including the screens) out of organza ribbons. I've had the idea, and those ribbons, for years. Attribute the delay to second thoughts about the whole idea of a curtain – the longer we lived without our previous one, the longer I liked the light and transparency of the bare window – compounded by uncertainty about how I would actually construct the thing. I wanted the ribbons secured to both a top and a bottom rod so they wouldn't flutter when the door was opened or closed. Not rocket science, but I knew the solution would be tedious. And so it was.


But now it's done and I'm really happy with the result. From some angles, the different colors and widths of ribbon are very apparent; from others they almost vanish into a sort of shimmery, barely translucent screen. I'm glad a rainy day got me to revisit this project.

Final score: me, one. Procrastination, infinity minus one. I'm still counting a victory.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the look. The window on our back door has been curtainless for the past four years, now I'm inspired. How does the bottom look and did you hand sew it all? Lucky you, your transom actually still works!

kelley

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it looks lovely, angelique! that top photo is just gorgeous.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I can see how approaching this project would be challenging, but the results are oh so VERY good.

10:49 AM  
Blogger angelique said...

Thank you! I did hand sew it all. Doing the top was easier because I took the rod down to sew the ribbons on, but the bottom had to be done in place.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home