Sunday, July 29, 2007

random


Usually when I sit down to write, I have something in mind to write about. Not today. Nothing big is going on.

Actually that is not true. J is building a fence as I type – that's big. The idea of our backyard as a habitable place is huge. I'll have pictures soon.

Until then, it's just the little things. Pleasures found, not planned. Like putting the borrowed child seat on the back of my new bike, strapping Iris in, and setting off on our maiden voyage to the sprinkler park. Like stopping by the thrift after a meeting on Friday and finding that someone had dropped off a raft of Mini Boden, size 3-4 years. Like they knew we were coming! I also found a vintage Pyrex mixing bowl, avocado green. You can never have too many of those.

Actually, since we've been working in the backyard, we have been spending time there as a family even though it is still pretty wild and woolly. It's not a very big backyard, but it's terra incognita for Iris, who often explores it in a pink dress, Chuck Taylor high-tops, and tiara. Today we found cicada carapaces on one of the fenceposts. Here are some other treasures that have turned up as we've been digging and turning over the dirt:



There was also a little rubber Charlie Brown figurine. Whatever happened to him? And a fork I finally threw out because decades of dirt had somehow melded to the metal and it would not come clean. And countless old coins. I love this kind of urban archaeology. Someday I'll do a whole post on things that were left behind in our house when we bought it. (That will be a long one....)

Not today. J and Iris are shucking corn on the porch, and I'm going to help.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the random post - will you be posting your boden-haul in the lucky ducks group? man, i never find stuff like that!

9:59 PM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

yay - sounds like some good summer fun.
xoxo

7:11 AM  
Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

We live in a neighborhood that was formerly the grounds of the grand plantation in our town- backyard archeology is a definite pastime of mine.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a perfectly wonderful summer!

9:41 AM  
Blogger amy h said...

Fun new bike! I've been looking at a Trek bike, too. They have one that has an automatic three-speed shifter, but looks like an old-fashioined cruiser. (I hate shifting.) I think it is called the Wasabi or something. But, seeing as I am very largely pregnant, I don't think I'll be buying until spring at least. Have fun with it!

5:48 PM  
Blogger sulu-design said...

Oh! Those finds that you've unearthed are fabulous - that wheelbarrow is so sweet. Have fun digging (and schucking).

9:58 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

I just got a new trek too!!!!
I am lovin it.........
wow lucky thrifting!!!! what thrift store?

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home