Monday, June 18, 2007

we're baa-ack

Whew, re-entry is hard. I'm not particularly suffering from jet-lag (too tired to wake up on German time), but Iris is, so we're all a little strung out.

I'm glad I posted some pictures while I was away because I don't think I have it in me to try and recap our trip. In a nutshell: it was great. Great to be with my dad on his birthday, great to see lots of other family, including my 91-year-old grandmother – it meant a lot to me that she and Iris got to meet. Great to enjoy a kaffeepause in the afternoons and the long, late northern European light at night. Great to explore hot spring resorts and cathedral towns with J while Iris hung with her Oma and Opa (like traveling before we were parents, right, J?). Great to sit up late with them, drinking my father's favorite Rhein wine and talking, after Iris went to bed. Just great. Okay, so much for not recapping.

But it's good to be back, too. Iris really missed my mom, so they had a joyful reunion. And I got home and wondered: what is this odd object in my house?


It wasn't until a few days later, after the dust had settled, that I found out. Why, it's a homemade sewing cabinet that my mom picked up at an estate sale while we were away, complete with lots of spools and other supplies still inside. It has a handle, so it's portable, and its sides are upholstered for sticking up fabric pieces (maybe I'll re-upholster them with something bright and funky... hmmm!).



Thanks Mom!

I also came home to a surprise package from my college friend Ellen, who'd gone through her craft closet and decided to de-accession a few things in my direction. I won't try to photograph everything that was in the box, but for me these were the highlights:


A piece of very thick, old flannel... just a small, sweet piece. Iris has already put it to use a doll blanket, but I'm not so sure I'm giving it to her for keeps.



And these. I can see the one on the left made into something Christmassy, the one on the right into some summery, picnicky napkins (yes, I'm still stuck in the housewares department), and the one in the middle as one of Erin's smocked sundresses. Thanks Ellen!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

all around good gifts! that sewing cabinet is particularly wonderful. glad you had a nice trip!

3:56 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

Welcome back! I've enjoyed all your travel pics. It sounds like it was a wonderful trip!

5:47 PM  
Blogger WBamberg said...

we miss you and especially Iris' tap. tap, tap running around our house.

The place seems very quiet since you left. But regular German country life routine has taken over again, with Erdbeerfest of our choir club on the island Niederwerth in the Rhein.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a nice mom you have!

glad you had a nice trip.
someday i'll get over there!

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome! I'm glad they got there safely. I didn't realize until after I'd sent the box that you were out of the country. Glad you had a good trip!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home