Saturday, June 27, 2009

the back 40

So I turned 40 a couple months ago. I try not to get too hung up on birthdays or age, but just so my entrance into this new decade would not be too sobering (literally or figuratively), J threw me a big party. I think I have already mentioned that he is the chef in our house, and he takes that job seriously, so planning the menu for this fete was no small matter of picking up a couple of trays of cold cuts from the supermarket. Oh no. J cooked up a biographical feast, complete with explanatory table cards. I already posted these to flickr, but I thought I'd share them here, too, because they make me feel good about where I've been, where I am, and what is to come.

The only thing I would add is peanut butter crackers. Not exactly sophisticated party fare, but these were/are a staple of my own childhood and Iris' (Kai, of course, is still too little for peanut butter) which somehow brings us full circle with this mother-of-small-children phase of life I now find myself (up to the ears in Polly Pockets) in.










(recipe for chick pea chili here.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rouxhauser said...

This post is making me hungry. Were you on JET when you were teaching? My hubby was on JET 1993-94. I was in school at Nanzan in Nagoya the same year.
Happy belated birthday, you crazy well-traveled woman!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous amy h said...

Happy birthday, Angelique!

Yes, hungry now.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 40th!

What a sweet sweet idea your husband had. We have some things in common, I grew up in Thailand and now live right next to Somerville!

Cheers,
Tracey

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

How cool! I am so sorry I missed the party.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home