Sunday, June 11, 2006

neither here nor there



The sun has finally come out and it actually feels like June. The sea and the sky, which have been grey the whole time I've been here, are brilliant blue, and for the first time since I arrived in Newport I am not wearing my old grey cardigan sweater which was, unwisely, the only remotely warm item of clothing I packed. I am so sick of that sweater. I may never wear it again. But then how would my classmates recognize me if they ever passed me on the street?

Like a good chocolate cake, Summer School has been much too rich and dense to describe here. I'll post some more photos when I get home. Home to my loves! I miss them so, but at the same time I am a little wistful that this week is over. It was like the best parts of graduate school, with all of the pleasures and none of the responsibilities. Well, except for being in charge of the entertainment at our final party last night... funny how the modified Family Feud game that is so tiresome every year at my office holiday party was actually a lot of fun with this group of people who have spent every waking, and in some cases sleeping, minute with each other for the past ten days. I am no good at transitions, and I always miss people and places most right before I leave them. After the intensity of this week in Newport, it will be strange to slip back into my scattered little workaday life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home