Monday, July 09, 2007

ta-da


I have to admit, it looks good in the picture. As I'd hoped. But if you detected a note of false triumph in the title of this post, it's because the blue tape let me down. I know! When I peeled it off, I found that primer had seeped under the edges, blurring the entire design. Gaah! J says it probably happened because the wood was too porous and I shouldn't retract my blue-tape-is-the-bomb post without sufficient evidence. Anyway, several tedious hours with a razor scraper (and several blades) later, I'm calling it done. Embracing, again, wabi, the beauty of imperfection. Reminding myself that it is destined for a child's room, after all, not a gallery.

Where did I get the inspiration? (Kirsten wants to know.) Well, unlike most of my craft projects, which are adapted, if not outright copied, from others, this one came all from my own head. The dresser was rescued from the trash, so it wasn't in very good condition.


Here's a picture I took of the top of the dresser when I was working on it because I couldn't bear to obliterate that decal without any documentation. If there had been more of it, I'd have tried to preserve it in some way.

Anyway, after scraping a layer of ancient, alligatored varnish from the whole thing, I discovered a veneer of beautiful wood on the drawers, but it was too dinged up to look good unfinished. I came up with the idea of the tree to let a little of the wood veneer show through a coat of paint.



See, it's really all right in the end. Even close up. That fabric on top will be the curtains for the room. I also painted a little bookcase headboard the same shade of pale green. It's not much to see right now, but I promise I'll include it on the virtual tour when, eventually, Iris' big-girl room is done.

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one fab dresser. My favorite detail is the lone little leaf. Love that. Come paint stuff with me. 'kay?

Nothing is perfect, so why should blue painter's tape be any different? You know you still love it. Youdoyoudoyoudo.

(Also, I never replied to J's comment over on my blog but ask him for the name of the Cooks Illustrated pizza recipe for me. We subscribe online so if he can tell me the name, I can get the recipe.)

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angelique, it is beautiful!

10:28 PM  
Blogger amy h said...

It looks great! I love it.

I've never used the blue tape without having to do some touch-up after peeling it off. There's always seepage, but it's still a good tool. I'm currently using PURPLE tape on my dresser. I have no idea if that will make any difference. :)

11:58 PM  
Blogger jen j-m said...

i am totally floored by how lovely this is! you could make a profession of it, woman. your color choices are terrific, and the details in the branhes are perfect. and i'm with sarah, the leaf detail is especially awesome.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously, angelique, that is so amazing! sounds like a ton of work, but wow!!!h

8:55 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Wow, I think it looks fabulous!!

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this! Especially the tree idea. Can't wait to see the finished room.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

Totally cool!

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

such loveliness!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a derelict dresser sitting in my studio and your beautiful tree has given me so many new ideas.

The next time you use your blue tape try burnishing the edges with a bone folder. It doesn't always give you perfect results but helps a lot! I learned from my mistakes painting the trim in my house. Hope it helps with your next project!!!!

2:52 PM  
Blogger pixiegenne said...

angelique -

you rock the house. this is totally amazing!!!

xoxo

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is so awesome, you should be super proud. it is cool enough for a magazine spread and/or a primo spot in the living room!

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love it. What an awesome idea!

5:27 AM  
Blogger Liz B. said...

Will you put knobs on the dresser? It might take away from the lovely design, but plain round red painted knobs would look like apples hanging from the branches and falling from them.
Very beautiful!

10:19 AM  
Blogger You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

That is an amazing dresser. Blue tape sadly let's me down too. However the over all design is so striking that I doubt anyone will notice the little detail that is bugging you. Seriously, I just LOVE it.

11:07 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

wow! It turned out amazing!
I love it sooo much! And that one green leaf? soooo sweet!

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day, I will so totally copy this. Absolutely gorgeous.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This looks absolutely positively gorgeous. Brilliant!

11:03 AM  
Blogger nita said...

i'm going to say it right here and right now:

it's only a matter of time before that triflin' beatch martha stewart starts totally ripping you off.

:)

seriously? wooooooooow.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Lesley Todd said...

Brilliant idea! It looks fantastic! I'd love that in my room, never mind a kid's room.

6:57 AM  
Blogger anna said...

Wow! I heart this dresser!

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is absolutely lovely! Thanks for sharing.

11:58 AM  
Blogger zelia said...

that is beautiful! i really love it. blue tape rules.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Nicole Morell said...

Oh my, that is one fantastic and wonderful idea. Bravo!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sophie said...

am in love with this. trying to make one like this myself hard work!!!!!! but great job

1:08 AM  
Blogger Sophie said...

http://sunnypeaches.blogspot.com/

6:12 PM  
Blogger Sophie said...

I JUST finished mine dresser and you were my inspiration. i just updated it on my blog

http://sunnypeaches.blogspot.com/

10:32 AM  
Blogger HereBeDragons said...

Cute. Nicely done.

3:40 PM  
Blogger sugarcreekstuff said...

Love the dresser.

Next project go for the green FROG TAPE. I used the blue for my sons room and hated the bleeding. Used the green for my daughters room and had amazing results!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

If you paint or spray a clear finish on after taping but before painting, it keeps your edges sharp. I think this dresser turned out great! I love the little leaf!

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home