Tuesday, August 08, 2006

self portrait in an enclosed space: the car


This is me in my 2004 Volkswagen Passat station wagon (or “sport wagon” as I guess they are called now. When did grocery shopping become a sport?). It's the first car I have ever owned (mutually with J) and my ability to drive it represents one of the great accomplishments of my adult life: finally, in my 30s, learning to drive a 5-speed. J taught me. He believes driving an automatic is not really driving, just steering.

Before I learned, I always used to scoff at people for saying that driving a stick shift was more fun. Now I must admit I agree. It's just that, in my case, fun is relative. To me, the car is the ultimate confinement. I do not particularly like driving or riding in cars. One of the reasons I live in the city is the ability to opt out, whenever possible, of being strapped to my seat in a little metal capsule.

But I’ll admit I suffer it gladly when it comes to hauling the week’s food from the Strip, or loading the way-back with those big flat boxes from Ikea, or when it’s raining and J gives Iris and me a dry, door-to-door ride downtown.

I guess you could say I'm a foul-weather fan of the automobile.

More self portraits at Self Portrait Challenge.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the combination of your face in the mirror (a little tense?) the trees all around and the line of cars behind you. Sort of sums up driving, I think.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

great photo. d has been on me to learn to drive a stick. perhaps you have inspired me... we will see!

3:40 PM  
Blogger angelique said...

Thanks! Tracy, you'll be glad you did, and if I'm saying that, you better believe it's true!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home